Monday, May 11, 2009

Comments/ Interactivity

The Web site functions as a portfolio for artists to showcase their work.  Artists are able to gain exposure by interacting with other artists.

What I've found is that the more you comment and interact, the more people interact with you.  Since you can view what artists are 'online now' on every page you visit, interacting with the artists online generates the most feedback.

For instance, I commented on a picture for an artist online now.  He 'replied' to my comment "Thank you" with in 5 minutes.  From there, he must have clicked on my name (to the left of my comment) because he commented on one of my pictures one minute after he wrote "Thank you."

It is common for artists to respond to people's comments on their pictures. I was wondering how ethical this is because it raises their comments, thus raising their picture's popularity on the site, which gives it more exposure.  However, I determined that it is ethical to respond to other artists' comments on your page because it promotes humility, conversation and strengthens connections amongst users.

I have found that artists who are not of high caliber or who disobey the Terms of Service are filtered through participation.  There are no comments (or very few) on the artists' pictures who disobey the Terms, such as photographers.  Photography is not allowed on this site because the Terms say that their are other Web sites for sharing photography.  These seem to be the only pictures who get below 3 stars, accompanied usually by no comments.  I think this is the other artists way of gently telling them they are not welcome with open arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment