Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Reflection

An ethnographic study of an online community was an interesting experience.  I felt weird studying an online community because it is something so current and accessable that it was hard to wrap my head around the idea of 'researching it.'  However, looking critically at the time and trends you are amongst is critical to functioning in society.  

I must say, I am completely sick of the community I am studying.  It is not longer exciting with new information popping out at you- it is like a final I just finished and I don't want to go back to class for a LONG summer!

I feel attached to my community because I have been interacting with them so much lately.  Online communities truly give people a sense of locality that they may not be able to find immediately in the physical world.

My community was global, and I did feel a sense of disembodiment.  It seemed like everyone was just like me, but in reality they are from Romania to South Africa to Russia to anywhere is Europe and the US.  Their cultures and lifestyles are different then mine.  However, everyone bonded on a common ground, which can't be a bad thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment